The Y is a non-profit organization dedicated to Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility.
Y volunteers give men, women, and children of all ages and from all walks of life the resources and support they need to be healthy, confident, connected and secure. Each of our volunteers helps deliver the benefits of good health, strong connections, greater self-confidence and a sense of security to all who seek it.
For example, DID YOU KNOW…
- Volunteerism improves health by strengthening the body, improving mood, and lessening stress in participants.
- The beneficial effects of volunteering on health outcomes have been well documented. Research has found that participation in voluntary services is significantly predictive of better mental and physical health, life satisfaction, self-esteem, happiness, lower depressive symptoms, psychological distress, and mortality and functional inability.
- Volunteers are worth on average $24.14 an hour according to an Independent Sector Study.
- There are already more than 600,000 volunteers working on behalf of the YMCA, providing invaluable support and service.
- YMCA’s are addressing the unique needs of more than 10,000 communities with the help of dedicated volunteers.
- 61% of the hours volunteered at the Y are from individuals between the ages of 14-18.